This guide is a list of country reports in subscription databases, free Web sites and print books that provide summaries of mulltiple aspects of individual countries, such as their economic, political, regulatory and social conditions.
START HERE - Major Multi-Subjects country reports
This list is not alphabetical; it is in order of prominence.
Other Multi-Subject country reports
- BBC News: Country Profiles
- Countries of the World and Their Leaders Yearbook (1981- )
Countries of the World and Their Leaders
(Call number: G122 .C68.) AU Library has print editions: 1975, 1977-1978.
- Country Data from Lloyd C. Russow, Philadelphia University
- Country Insights from GlobalEDGE at the University of Michigan
Brief statistics, history, economic and political information.
- Country Profiles from the United Kingdom's Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Country Studies/Area Handbook
This series is no longer being updated, but is still useful for historical information. It is an excellent source for a short history of a country. Describes and analyzes the political, economic, social, and national security systems and institutions, of individual countries, and examines the interrelationships of those systems and the ways they are shaped by cultural factors. Part of a series of books from 1988-1998 that was prepared by the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress under the Country Studies/Area Handbook Program sponsored by the Department of the Army.
AU Library has print copies of this series.
- The Economist: Country Briefings
News articles from The Economist, and brief country information from the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
- MSU Global Access from Michigan State University
- OECD: Country Web Sites
Reports and data on the member countries of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, plus China, Brazil and Russia.
- U.S. Department of State: Countries
Information from the U.S. Department of State on countries of the world including:
- Background Notes - Facts about the land, people, history, government, political conditions, economy, and foreign relations of independent states, some dependencies, and areas of special sovereignty.
- Country Specific Information - Travel information for U.S. citizens going abroad. Includes health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, any areas of instability, and the location of the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in the country.
- Current Travel Warnings
- International Religious Freedom Report
- World Almanac and Book of Facts
(Call number: AY67.N5 W7; most recent edition is located in Ready Reference.) AU Library has print editions of 1930, 1932-1946, 1948-1953, 1955-1968, 1970-1972, 1975-1977, 1979-1981, 1983 to present.
Click to Chat with a Librarian
AskAULibrary IM is offline right now.
Please send us a research
consultation request instead!
IM Reference hours: Sunday, 9pm to 2am, Monday-Thursday 11am to 2am, Friday 11am to 6pm. We can take text messages during open hours at 571-766-6349.
IM Reference will be open Wed. Nov. 26 from 11am to 6pm, and then 9pm to 2am, and on Thurs. Nov. 27 from 9pm to 2am. We will be closed Friday, Nov. 28 for the Thanksgiving Holiday.